Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Going Off Meds

I’m getting the "thumbs up" from the key people.  My therapist, shrink, pastor, and life counselor have recommended that I go off my medication.  Even my guru, Rashneesh B., whose teachings I came across while at a retreat in Santa Barbara, thinks the time has come.  I’m ready to face the challenges of life without any kind of chemical support, they say.  Well bless their hearts!  What do they know?  I suppose I should have told them about the last time I went clean.  I wasn’t aware of what happened, but the police arrested me for indecent exposure.  I was walking naked through a mall warning people about the imminent end of the world.  I wouldn’t say I’m addicted to these pills, but I have accustomed myself to the numbing effect that they provide.  At the same time, though, I look forward to complete independence and freedom.  Heck, I had already decided that I would turn over a new leaf once autumn began.  I guess I should put freedom in quotations, however; for whiskey and therapy will still help me through the rough times.  Life is good and it's about to get even better.