Sunday, March 10, 2013

Priorities?

It’s been a while since I’ve written something in this blog, the longest stretch to date.  I don’t think the spark for creative writing had died within me lately so much as I’ve just been overwhelmed with work and preoccupied with thoughts.  I’ve taken up more responsibilities between my academic and military jobs.  And I find myself unable to take care of a backlog of issues each week, let alone new ones that come my way with each passing day.  Reader, you should know that such an excuse pains me.  While many people in our urbanized culture value busyness and take pride in a calendar filled to the brim with meetings, appointments and other commitments (even as they complain about them), I’ve never been impressed with this method of finding self-worth.     Yet here I am before you  claiming to be swamped with this, that, and the other.  Why do we entangle our lives into such a mess?  Where are our priorities?  Why do we seem to find value in living a busy life when time is so short and we should be spending time with those whom we love?