Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Unwelcome Visitor

April is one of my favorite months of the year, but this day, April 10, is perhaps my least favorite.  Why?  Without fail I get a visit from an old friend, Cal Torrance, who for whatever reason feels an obligation to discuss with me unpleasant realities of life such as mortality, missed opportunities, regrets, and the ravages of time.  Each year Mr. Torrance’s countenance seems to mirror the topics under discussion.  His beard is a bit greyer, his tone more skeptical.  For the most part I’ve learned to ignore him when he comes a-calling, but today I had enough of his sourpuss shenanigans.  Here’s what I told him:  “Get thee behind me, Mr. Torrance, ye harbinger of degradation, ye bringer of morbid tidings.  It doesn’t matter whether I’m 19 or 65, I’m going to live life with a youthful mind and a healthy body.”  Did I scare him off for good this time?  No.  He’ll be back next year, or at least I hope so.