Saturday, March 13, 2010

Shoot to Thrill

I came to the conclusion a few years ago that a judiciously selected AC/DC song, with sufficient volume level, can often improve a situation or at least change your demeanor for the good.  Your best bet is tunage from Highway to Hell, Back in Black, or For Those About To Rock.  I'm not what you'd call a devoted fan of the Australian hard rock band, but they do hearken back to my youth.  The key to AC/DC's ability to produce so many anthemic rock songs, other than their skill as songwriters, is the principle, often described by critics and fans, of "less is more."  I like metal, but I generally prefer the "more is more" concept, that is, hard-driving music with a bit of complexity and virtuosity thrown into the mix.  Nonetheless, AC/DC can "hit the spot" like no other band, and I'm evidently not alone, nor am I dating myself particularly, for Angus and Malcom and the boys seem to be a perennial favorite even for younger generations.  If you're hazarding the barren Afghan landscape in a military convoy, as in the opening scene from the movie Iron Man, or if you're putzing around the house and no-one's around, or when you're in the car on a lone desert highway, heck, if you've had a long day at work, pull out your air Gibson SG guitar and crank up AC/DC.  It just might shake you out of your funk.