Saturday, October 29, 2011

Haunted Hustle

I ran a half marathon today, my third within this past year.  My pace was nothing to write home about, but I finished at a respectable time and that’s good enough for me.  I hadn’t been preparing as I would have liked in the last few months.  The Haunted Hustle in Middleton, Wisconsin was a nice course and, as it turns out, the weather was perfect.  I wouldn’t want to live in Wisconsin by any means, but it was certainly nice to visit.  Fortunately I didn't suffer from a right calf issue that plagued me during the St. Louis half marathon in April and resulted in an awful run time, but my performance today certainly doesn't match my time in South Carolina last November when I was in fairly good shape due to an 11-week military training program.  Those previous 13-mile runs in November and April, I must confess, were cherished moments in my life.  Today's event was okay, but nothing special.  I'm still assessing my ability to run a full marathon, but until I lose about twenty pounds or so, it's off the table.  Frankly, after today, I'm wondering whether I should run another thirteen-miler!