Monday, June 6, 2011

An Exception to Laughing

I like to laugh.  That’s just who I am.  I’ve always been this way.  If you tell me a joke, especially one with poo and pee in it, I’ll chuckle heartily.  If you tickle my armpits or my belly, I’ll giggle like a schoolgirl.  If I hear someone farting, especially the rapid machine-gun style of farting, then forget it!  I’ll laugh so uncontrollably that you’d swear I’m both crying and having an epileptic seizure.  A comedy on TV or at the theater can crack me up like nothing else.  Physical humor particularly leaves me in stitches.  What I will absolutely not laugh at, however, is racism.  I don’t find the topic funny.  Racial jokes are inappropriate.  One of my friends, knowing how I feel about racism, tried to get me to compromise my belief.  He told me a joke about a Jew, Mexican, and Persian who couldn’t control their bladders and ended up defecating in public all the time.  I didn’t want to laugh, but I had to.  In my defense, I could totally picture those groups creating a scene in public and making it awkward for bystanders.  If these numskulls had half a brain they could have avoided making a mess in the airport terminal.  The Jew shits in his skullcap, the Mexican in his sombrero, and the Persian in his turban.  No brainer!