Saturday, December 22, 2012

Highlights of 2012

I'd like to take this opportunity to reflect on the good things that happened this past year.   Readers of this blog are no doubt accustomed to dark themes and melancholy topics.  Granted, I have an indefatigable fascination with the absurd and perverse, not to mention the repulsive and downright psychotic.  For instance, omitted from my account here is almost getting arrested for indecent exposure in May.  (I was indeed naked and exposing myself to passers-by and children in the playground two blocks from my house, but the police officers who seized me forgot to read me my rights.  My lawyer got me off on a technicality.)  Another tidbit I could add here is that I accidently ate a lot of yellow snow yesterday (and kept coming back for more even after my wife informed me quite adamantly that it wasn’t lemonade slush, but my cats' urine).  I’m not sure why I have checked my natural inclination to dwell on scandals, misfortune, disappointments, and unsavory behavior.  Chalk it up to the holiday session, I guess.  Maybe I’ve dipped my cup into the Glühwein bowl too much this evening.  Then again, perhaps I just want to heed the words of Paul: Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  First off, my wife, daughters and I are in good health.  Erika got accepted to the university of her choice and just completed her first semester.  Jessi received a congressional appointment to the Naval Academy.  Teri and Monika went to seven European countries this summer.  In August I started full-time at a job I love and got promoted twice this year as an Army officer.